Federal Skilled Worker Program Requirements | Express Entry

To immigrate to Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker program, a foreign worker must have one (1) year of eligible experience and meet other requirements. Candidates are assessed under the six (6) selection factors, such as language skills, education, work experience, age, job offer, and adaptability in Canada. Foreign skilled workers are gaining points under each, and need at least 67 points to meet the minimum eligibility criteria. An overview of all requirements is provided below.

Step 1 – Selection Factors

To qualify for Express Entry Immigration as a Federal Skilled Worker, a candidate must reach at least 67 points (out of 100) under the six (6) selection factors. These criteria are components of a 100-point system “selection grid”. Each gives a certain number of the Federal Skilled Worker points. If a candidate gets 67 points or more, he can start immigration by registering an Express Entry Profile in the pool. However, only candidates with the highest CRS score are invited to apply for permanent residence.

Maximum points in the grid under six factors:

English or French Language Skills – 28 points max.
Education – 25 points max.
Work Experience 15 points max.
Age – 12 points max.
Arranged Employment in Canada/ Valid Job Offer – 10 points max.
Adaptability (how well you’re likely to settle in Canada) – 10 points max

Step 2 – Other Requirements If “67 Pass-mark” Is Met

Candidate must have one (1) year of work experience that was:

  • in the same job
    continuous and
    gained within the last 10 years.

Importantly, only specified occupations and jobs are eligible for immigration under the Federal Skilled Worker Stream. The National Occupational Classification System (NOC) is used to assess whether a work experience, based on the skill type and level, is in the list of eligible occupations. Thus, skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the NOC are eligible. Candidate must show that all the duties specified in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC were done.

Some examples of eligible occupations are managers, dentists, doctors, architects, chefs, plumbers, electricians. However, most of these professions are regulated in Canada. The provincial regulatory bodies govern lawyers, doctors, engineers, etc. In case a foreign worker immigrates in the occupation that is regulated, he or she would only be able to practice in that occupation if authorized by a regulatory body. In most cases, this means a provincial regulatory body licenses a candidate.

All the requirements for work experience must be met. For example, if a foreign national volunteered or had an unpaid internship, this type of work does not meet the Federal Skilled Worker program requirements. If a candidate changed companies and has a time gap between the old and new jobs, this experience does not count either.

Language ability
A minimum result of the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) seven (7) in all four language abilities: reading, writing, listening and speaking is required. Candidate can take either the English or French language test. For English, there are two options, CELPIP or IELTS. Only the “General” (not academic!) option is accepted under the Express Entry. For French, TEF test is the only possible option. The language test result is accepted if it less then two (2) years old (on the day candidate submits/ applies for permanent residence). Language test equivalency charts are helpful to convert IELTS, CELPIP or TEF results into corresponding CLB levels.
To meet the education requirement and get points, a foreign national with an education in Canada must provide a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary or post-secondary school. Candidates must prove that their foreign education is equivalent to a Canadian one. This can be achieved by applying for an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report to one of the accepted agency:

Comparative Education Service (CES), University of Toronto;
International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS);
International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES), British Columbia Institute of Technology;
International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS), Government of Alberta;
World Education Services (WES);
The Medical Council of Canada (MCC);
The Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (PEBC).

Proof of funds
Applicants must provide evidence that they have enough money to cover for basic needs for themselves and family. The amount of money depends on the size of a family, that includes:

Spouse or common-law partner
Dependent children (under 22 years old), and
Spouse’s dependent children.

Funds required based on family size

1 – $12,960
2 – $16,135
3 – $19,836
4 – $24,083
5 – $27,315
6 – $30,806
7 – $34,299
Each additional family member – $3,492

For example, $12,960 (CAD) would be required for a family of just 1 person – an applicant, while $34,299 – for a family size of seven (7) people. However, no need to prove funds if a candidate has a valid job offer from a company in Canada or currently work in Canada with proper authorization.

The required investment in the proposed business ranges from $150,000 CDN – if a proposed business will be located outside Yellowknife and $300,000 CDN – within Yellowknife. In the case of partnerships, the investment amount/ ownership must be at least 33.3% of the business. In case the personal equity investment is at least $1,000,000 CDN, the 33,3% ownership requirement may be waived.

If you would like to know more , you may call +1 587-930-7017 or email or message us using the contact form.

Get Professional Help

Related Blog Posts