Canadian Experience Class Program Requirements | Express Entry

The Canadian Experience Class Program allows foreign nationals with Canadian work experience to become permanent residents of Canada.

CEC Program Requirements

To immigrate as a skilled worker under the Canadian Experience Class, two primary requirements are to have Canadian work experience and meet English or French language proficiency.

Education, even though not a requirement, can add Express Entry points, and increases a candidate’s Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score respectively. With CRS Calculator, one can calculate points and access eligibility to apply under this stream. Proof of funds is not a requirement under the Canadian Experience Class.

Also, candidates who are married to or live with a common-law partner (foreign national) in Canada, either or both of you can fill out an Express Entry Profile if both meet the requirements of the Canadian Experience Class Program.

Work in Canada

A foreign national must have one (1) year of paid Canadian work experience within the three (3) years of applying to immigrate under the Express Entry Canadian Experience Class program. Canadian work experience should have been gained while a candidate was authorized to work in Canada. For example, work in Canada while on:

A post-graduation work permit
An open work permit, including the work permit issued under the International Experience Class program
An LMIA-based work permit
An LMIA-exempt work permit, that is employer-specific

The Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) relies on the Canadian National Occupational Classification – NOC 2016 to assess whether a candidate’s work experience, based on the skill type and level, is in the list of eligible jobs for the Canadian Experience Class stream. Thus, managerial, professional, technical positions and skilled trades under the skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the NOC are eligible. Candidates must show that you did all the duties specified in the occupational description in the NOC.

Canadian skilled work experience may be gained through 12 months of full-time work, which means 30 hours per week or 1,560 hours per year. Alternatively, candidates can work part-time for 24 months, which means 15 hours per week or 1,560 hours for 2 years.

Canadian work experience must not be continuous, or in the same job, as compared to the Federal Skilled Worker Program requirements. However, overtime hours can not be claimed to meet the time requirement. For example, if 1560 hours are reached in the 8 months of work by working overtime, still, 1 year of full-time work is needed to apply under the Canadian Experience Class stream.

Language Ability
The requirement for language ability under the Canadian Experience Class depends on the skill type or level of the job in which one (1) year of the Canadian work experience was gained.

The minimum language requirement is:

Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs in all four language abilities: reading, writing, listening and speaking, or
CLB 5 for NOC B jobs in all four language abilities: reading, writing, listening and speaking. Note, if you combine jobs in NOC 0, A, or B, then you must meet CLB 7 if you work longer in the NOC 0 or A jobs, or CLB 5 – if you work longer in the NOC B job in the required 1 year.

To meet the language requirement, either English or French test can be taken. For English, there are two options – CELPIP or IELTS. Only the “General test” (not academic) option is accepted under the Express Entry. For French, the TEF test is the only possible option. CLB 7 corresponds to score 6 for IELTS or 7 for CELPIP in all four language abilities. CLB 5 corresponds to score 5 or 4 (for reading) for IELTS or 5 for CELPIP in all four language abilities. The language test result is only accepted if it less then 2 years old on the day of application for permanent residence.

If you would like to know more , you may call +1 587-930-7017 or email or message us using the contact form.

Get Professional Help

Related Blog Posts