Canada Visa and Immigration Refusals
There are certain options after Canadian visa refusals. These are reconsideration, reapplication, appeal or judicial review. Which option to select depends on refusal reasons, type of application, and individual circumstances. More about possible actions and deadlines.
What to do if a Canadian Visa Was Refused?
In most cases, request for reconsideration or appeal of an immigration decision is possible, or merely reapplication. There is no limit on the number of times one can re-apply for a Canadian visa, only the government fees must be paid again. Refusals happen for different reasons. Therefore, what procedure to follow is conditional to various factors.
Temporary Visa Refusal
Refusal letters usually contain general reasons and details can be found in the visa officer’s notes. To get the notes, one must make a request. Further actions depend upon the fairness and reasonability of decision, as balanced against the applicant’s eligibility for a visa, supporting documents that were submitted, and other factors.

In case of a mistake by a visa officer or if important supporting documents were disregarded, one can request a reconsideration of a negative decision, without payment of additional fees. It usually should be made within a ten-day period, which, is not firm though.

If reconsideration is not a viable option, one can still reapply and address the issues of the previous refusal. This means adding new documents and arguments to clarify and explain the situation. If ended up with the refusal again, application for judicial review to the Federal Court of Canada is another option.
Immigration Visa Refusal
If an application for permanent residence (PR) has been refused, there are more options, as compared to temporary visa refusals.

For example, if an outland sponsorship application is refused, a sponsor may appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). If one lost PR status due to not meeting residency obligation (730 days in every 5 years of physical presence in Canada), it can also appeal to the IAD. Refugees can appeal negative decisions to the Refugee Appeal Division (RAD). This is only possible if the panel member made a mistake of fact or law. With the Express Entry refusals, if a mistake occurs, one can apply for leave to the Federal Court of Canada for review
  • Sponsorship appeal – Notice of Appeal must be filed within 30 days to the IAD by a sponsor.
    Refugee appeal – Notice of Appeal must be filed within 15 days to the RAD by a refugee claimant.
    Residency obligation appeal – Notice of Appeal must be filed within 60 days after you received the IRCC written decision.
    Judicial review at the Federal Court of Canada – application must be filed within 15 days if the matter arises in Canada or 60 days for a matter arising outside Canada.

If you would like to know more , you may call +1 587-930-7017 or email or message us using the contact form.

Get Professional Help