Open Work Permit | Types

Foreign nationals need a Canadian permit to work in Canada. In most cases, a job offer and confirmation letter, known as a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment  (LMIA), is required for a foreign national to apply for a work permit.  Canadian open work permit programs allow applying for a permit without needing a job offer and a positive LMIA.  We provide a description of all types below.

9 Types of Canadian Open Work Permits

Canadian open work permit allows working for any employer in Canada. Foreign nationals do not need a job offer to apply for the one, however, they must meet program requirements. Nationals can apply for an open work permit in the following circumstances:

  • An international student who graduated from a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada can apply for a Post-Graduation Open Work Permit.
  • A destitute student – a student who can not meet the costs of education in Canada.
  • Someone who applied for permanent residence in Canada or a dependent family member of such an applicant can apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit.
  • A spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker, an international student in Canada, or an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program can apply for a Spousal Open Work Permit.
  • A refugee, refugee claimant, protected person or their family member.
  • Someone who is under an unenforceable removal order.
  • A temporary resident permit holder.
  • A young worker participating in special programs – International Experience Class.
  • A foreign worker who has an employer-specific work permit and is being abused or at risk of being abused in relation to a job in Canada.

If you would like to know more , you may call +1 587-930-7017 or email or message us using the contact form.

Get Professional Help